Thomas Glascock Family
Virginia


Thomas Glascock
b. 6 Jun 1613 Moreton, Essex, England
d. 3 Jun 1677 Morattico Creek, Farnham, Richmond Co., Virginia

m.  Jane Juet about 1622 Lancaster Co., Virginia
b. 1611 Essex, Eng.
d. Richmond, VA
her father: ?       her mother: ?

his father: Henry Glascock II (b. 1582 Essex, England)
his mother: Margery Fitch (b. abt 1588 Essex, England)
Children
Gregory Glascock
b. 1634 England
d. 1690 VA (age 56)
1m. Mary Barber 18 Jan. 1661 in VA
2m. Mary Fauntleroy 1667 in VA
Thomas Glascock
b. 1640 Rappahannock, VA
d. 1701  Richmond Co., Virginia (age 56)
m. Anne Nichols
John Glascock
b. 1638
d. 1722 Richmond Co., VA m.

children and birth order according to the records of John Peachy.

Thomas Glascock, of 1611, probably arrived in the Virginia by 1652.


Guildhall Library, City of London Libraries, London EC.2, MS 10, 091/16:
17 Mo Jun 1634...
"This day appeared personally Thomas Glascock of ye parishe of St. Mary Whitechappell in ye county of
Middlesex, joyner and a batchelor aged about 23 yeares and at his owne government & alledgeth that he intendeth
to marry Jane Juet of ye same place, maiden aged about 23 years & att her own government, her parents being
deceased & that there is noe lawful lett or impediment by reason of any precontract, consanguinity, affinity or
otherwise, to hinder this intended marriage, he made faith and desired license for them to be married in ye parish
churche of St. Mary Staynings, London. (Signed) Thomas Glascock
(Signed) Row: Jennings--(Rowland Jennings, surrogate of the Vicar General of the Bishop of London)"
(See The Glas(s)cocks of England and America by Rev. Lawrence A. Glassco on page 231 for a copy of the
license).


Thomas had moved to VA with his family by 1643. On 30 Aug 1643 he received two land patents. From
the patents we know his wife's name was "Jane". The reason for moving might have been the 1642 Civil War in
England instigated by a power struggle between King Charles I and the Parliment led by Oliver Cromwell.
One of the 1643 patents was for 130 acres in Warwick River Co. "parallel to his own and land of John Leyden
and adjacent to land of Thomas Davis" possibly for transporting three persons to Virginia from England. This
was for land on the lower part of the penninsula between the James and York Rivers and situated near the James
River somewhat between Newport News, Hampton and Yorktown. John Leyden is listed in the records as an
"Ancient Planter", one who arrived in Virginia before 1616. He arrived with John Smith and the first settlers, at
age 27, on the "Susan Constant" in 1607.

1643,  30 Aug 1643--PATENT--THOMAS GLASCOCKE, 130 acres Warwick River County, August 30, 1643, page 902. Parallel to his own and land of John Leydon and adj Thomas Davis. Transportation of three persons: Thomas Trade and Bestney Brookes. SAME--200 acres, a mile and a half upon the South side of Peankatanke River, adj Christopher Reeve, August 30, 1643, page 903. Transportation of four persons: Thomas Glascocke, Jane his wife, William Charles, James Allen.
Thomas also patented 200 acres "a mile and a half upon the south side of Peankatanke River,
adjacent Christopher Boyce" for transporting 4 persons to Virginia, which included Thomas and his wife, Jane.
In 1652 he was appointed Justice of the Peace for the Peankatanke area by the Burgesses, sitting at Jamestown.
The Peankatanke River was north of his other patent, between the York and the Rappahannock Rivers. It flows
into the Chesapeak Bay just a few miles below the mouth of the Rappahannock. The first patent on the
Rappahannock was granted in 1642, and only four others before Thomas'. The south shore of the Peankatanke
was inhabited by the Chiskiake Indians. It is believe that the Glascocks lived in this are for about 9 years.

1652, 28 Jul  --PATENT--THOMAS GLASCOCK, 600 acres Lancaster County, 28 July 1652, page 195. Upon North side of Morratico Creek, running to land of Nicholas Ferman, etc. 200 acres by rights of a former patent, surrendered; and 400 acres for transportation of eight persons: Fra. Brumly, Alice Bird, Henry Cosham, John Barrom, Thomas Dison, John Ingram, James Ororke, Thomas West; Sarah Parsons land due for. Note: The patent surrendered is dated 30 August 1643 for land in Peyanketanke.
 Thomas was granted a patent for 600 acres about 30 miles north of his Peankatanke land, on
Morattico Creek in Lancaster Co. of VA. Two hundred of these acres were received in exchange for the
surrender of his first patent for the land on the Peankatanke River and the remaining 400 acres were for
transporting eight more persons to the colony.

1662, 9 Jan,  ---PATENT--MR. THO. GLASCOCKE, 280 acres upon North side of Rappahannock River, 9 January 1662, page 140. Upon head of Morattico Creek, bounding upon land of Nicholas Farmer, Mr. Thomas Stephens, and the land he now lives on. Transportation of six persons: John Randall, Ann Scarton, Richard Gates, John Alexander, Patrick Highlander, Ann Rowse (or Rowze).

PATENT--THOMAS GLASCOCK, 600 acres Lancaster County, 11 March 1662, page 309, (286). NorthWest side of Morratico Creek, about a mile up the same, beginning on NorthEast side at the mouth of NorthNorthWest br. of Morratico Creek &c. SouthEast parallel to the branch upon the land of Nicholas Ferman (or Forman) &c. Renewal of patent dated 20 July 1652.
 Thomas received another patent for 280 acres adjoining the land he had at the head of the
Morattico Creek for transporting 6 more persons. It is most likely that he moved his family north onto the
Morattico Creek property during the early 1660s. Morattico Creek was named for the "Moraughtacund Indians".
"Thomas Glassocks's land, in Lancaster Co., is on a narrow seaboard peninsula of VA called the 'Northern Neck'
which is bounded on the east by Chesapeake Bay, on the north by the Potomac River (River of Swans), and on the
south by the Rappahannock River (Quick Rising Waters). Only fifteen to twenty miles wide, it runs inland
between the great rivers for about a hundred miles. The Glascock land is located on the point of land at the
junction of the Morattico and the Lancaster (formerly also called the Morattico) Creeks where they flow into the
Rappahannock River, and is thus surrounded on three sides by water. The land is situated uphill from the little
fishing village of Simonson. The East Creek (Lancaster Creek) is the boundary between Richmond and Lancaster
Counties... This area was one of the most densely inhabited parts of Powhaten's Empire, and the hardest fighting
must have occurred along the Rappahannock near the 'Indian Banks' area."
                                             [The Glas(s)cock--Glassco Saga, by Lawrence A. Glassco]


PATENT--THOMAS GLASCOCK, 280 acres on North side of Rappahannock County on the head of Morratico Creek, 4 April 1678, page 630. Adjacent Nicholas Farmer and Thomas Stephens. Transportation of six persons: Joane Wade, John Butcher, Richard Vessi, Edmond Symons, Anthony Billington, John Sharpe.

Bet. 1667 - 1683, Thomas Glascock was deeded parts of his father's original Morattico Creek land, part in 1667 and another part in 1683.

Source:

______________________________________________________________________________________

EC'S HOMEFamily HISTORYALBUMART INDEXMY TRAVEL buttonemail - elroy@next1000.com

All information and photos included within these pages was developed by the help of hundreds of researchers. The information here is for the express purpose of personal genealogical research and is freely offered as long as this site is listed as a source. It may not be included or used for any commercial purpose or included in any commercial site without the express permission of Elroy Christenson. Copyright Elroy Christenson 1998-2010.

web pages created by Elroy Christenson- elroy@next1000.com - last updated 2/18/11